Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sunday Scribblings - "Country or City?"


When I was a little girl most vacations were camping trips. The smell of that old green canvas tent, a roaring campfire and the forest aroma's, were my fondest memories as a child. Sadly the tent was upgraded to a confining, hot motor home, but the best parts of camping remained. Swimming, smores, campfires, fishing, pine cone gathering and the smell of the trees never stopped calling me back to the mountains.

Camping, as I became an adult, remained a treat reserved for vacations and long weekends. I lived and raised my girl's in the suburbs while commuting to big cities for work, until I was thirty five. Fast food was easier on soccer nights and shopping at the malls was a fun weekend activity. I usually lived pay check to pay check always needing something to make life more convenient. We had a nice house two miles from a sewage plant and 5 miles from a tiny airport. On certain breezy days you could smell the sewage and the summer air shows would rattle the windows. Traffic, rushing around and money was my life for 35 years.

When my ALS was starting to become a bigger part of my daily struggle and being already retired, I kept asking myself is this really where I want to be? I remembered my beloved mountains but knew snow in the winter for a disabled, single mom would not be in the cards. Instead I picked up and moved my girls to the foothills. A country life, a little snow and mountain views. We ate better, spent less and became members of a small community where we knew many of the faces around us. We didn't need to lock everything up tight and felt safe and happier.

Meeting Dave and getting married, as the children were leaving home, was a wonderful gift. We took a leap of faith together and bought a house in the mountains 5 minutes from a lake. When I'm there I can smell the pines, hear the breeze blowing through the cedars and I can even smell the camper's campfires at the lake. I'm living my life as one big vacation and I'm very thankful to have been given this gift. City life can be a treat to visit for a movie experience, a play, dinner or a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Yet country life has brought me full circle and really fits the new me.

25 comments:

mareymercy said...

Living life as one big vacation - those are words to live by! Bravo!

Becca said...

I loved reading about your journey from city to country girl. Your country home is going to be so beautiful!

Living life as one big vacation - now how cool is that ???

Love and hugs...

Liza on Maui said...

I am glad you are in a palce where it fits you now. I like the Suburbia close to Country - I think Maui in a way is becoming like that :) ...

Shelby said...

oh what a lovely post!

Shelby

shelbydupree.blogspot.com

Clockworkchris said...

This was a wonderfully written commentary on your life. I really like your expanation and descriptions of how life was before and after the move. I always lived next to a lake, but not a nice one. I can't imagine people camping in my old neighborhood, although I did in the back yard a few times when girls were not permitted in the house overnight. Thats another story altogether. :) I am glad you found a place you can enjoy with your family. That is what life is all about.

Julie said...

Mmmm....s'mores. :D

I have to admit that I was never a camping sort of girl; once puberty hit, access to actual plumbing became very important to me ;-) I'm so glad you found the right community of people in the right surroundings to make your transition easier. I'm sure this next move will be another step in the right direction!

Writer Bug said...

It's amazing--your writing about the smell of the tent brought that scent to my nose! And I love your life. If only I could find a place with all those wonderful relaxing things, and lots of good restaurants. :)

emmapeelDallas said...

I can smell that breeze blowing through the cedars...like you, I love getting out in the countryside, and tent camping is the way to go for me! Your new place sounds terrific!

Judi

Amber said...

Being a mountain girl myself, I really get this. Personally, I wish I were higher up now. Raising my kids in the woods.

Your lake house sounds...perfect! I can't wait to see it. ;)

:)

Rethabile said...

Brilliant. City life for five minutes a week, the rest in the country, please. For me at least. I live in Paris and want out.

Pam said...

As you know, I moved to VT for the very same reasons 30 years ago. Every day has a view of mountain splendor, the fragrance of the seasons wafting on fresh air and space. I have never looked back.

Love you!

gautami tripathy said...

I liked the way you compared your life before and after you moved. Your words are always a pleasure to read.

Regina said...

I think it's interesting how as we get older, our needs change- it's so nice to know that you really listen to yourself and honor yourself with what you truly need in your life right now- the ocuntry life.
A beautiful post for today, Tammy...
xo

Shelby said...

thanks for your comment this morning!

take care and happy Monday :)

turquoise cro said...

ahhhHHHH! The country life! I live inbetween and I wake up like I'm on vacation too! How lucky we are Tammy!I look out my yard and maybe there will be a squirrel, a deer and you can always count on the crows and blue jays! LOL My house is older too and needs remodeling, not enough closets but I am wanting to move but have to find the peace like upon this hill! Five minutes and you are in the city so I have the cake of both worlds! They won't deliver pizza out in the country! LOL

Crafty Green Poet said...

You describe your journey so wonderful, you seem to have been in the right place for every stage of your life.

strauss said...

That was a wonderful read Tammy. I have read your descriptions of your home in teh mountains before and I can tell you are just loving it up there; you sure paint a beautiful picutre of your home.
Thank you for sharing.

GreenishLady said...

I love your new home and am so pleased for you that you find yourself in just the right environment for this time in your life. Enjoy the vacation!

Anonymous said...

Two peas in a pod! I also grew up camping, going from a piece of plastic, to a tent, to a hot ol' camper, then to motels. I now live in a high altitude river valley, with lots of mountains, and a big river. I know just what you mean, and you expressed it very, very well!
hugs!

Kay Cooke said...

Thanks for all the beautiful descriptions and taking me with you Tammy - loved the trip! I can see why you are looking so forward to your new home. Love the photos.

Jana B said...

Awww... There is NOTHING like living in the country. I love city life (the busy life, so much to do, etc...) but when the time comes to raise children, I want my kids to have the country life. (If it's doable, which it might or might not be.)

There's just something awesome about opening a window and hear the wind rustling the leaves... the birds chirping... *happy sigh*

spacedlaw said...

I am happy that you have finaly found a pleasant place to live in - and love to boot.
Nathalie

Molly said...

My fiance and I are going camping for the first time (together) this weekend--I'm excited!

daisies said...

i grew up in the country and now live in the city ~ it was fun to read your journey from the city to the country and how happy you are now dances out of your words ~ so wonderful!!

paris parfait said...

Such a fascinating journey, in all your moves. A lovely post. Your new home sounds like a little slice of heaven. xo