Thursday, January 04, 2007

Poetry Thursday

This was a poem written by my husband Dave. We exchanged poems for Christmas and I posted mine and now I'm posting his. My 17yr old lab, Manny, passed in November. This poem touched my soul! It was two pages and put over a picture of me and Manny. This was just a part of it but I'm bursting with pride and love over his thoughtfulness.


I Knew How Much You Loved me

On the day I went to rest
your love and friendship stood the test.
You held me close and spoke to me
until my eye's could no longer see.

Perhaps my time seemed all to brief
don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
My life was so full, you loved me so much
your words, your devotion, your gentle touch.

My life was so good because of you
giving me a home only known by few.
With all of my heart and all of my soul
I did what I could to keep you whole.

Sorrow fills such an empty space
so close your eye's and you will see my face.
You look for me but I'm not there,
but I'm in the sun, the rain and every breath of air.

The sun here is so warm, the breeze so cool,
tall grasses sway in this heavenly pool.
I still watch over you all through the day
knowing you will come home to stay.

A friendship shared, your laugh, a kiss.
These things too I will truly miss.
And when the time comes for you to take the great ride
I will rush to meet you and stand by your side.

Love Manny

To see other lovely poems go here

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful. I lost my beloved ferret, Bo, in November also so that was especially touching.

Anonymous said...

I read both poems, yours and your husband's - what a lovely glimpse into both your hearts! I like the idea of poems at Christmas - my family has done letters but your poems are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

A truely beautiful poem from a very special man. Your poems to each other express how much you love and understand one another.

Anonymous said...

Clearly he knew exactly how Manny felt about you. Dave is a real sweetheart.

Anonymous said...

What an amazingly thoughtful man Dave is! The poem from Manny's view is just beautiful.xo

Anonymous said...

Tammy, Dave is a lucky man to have you in his life --- and you are lucky to have a guy like Dave in your life. We sometimes write each other poems, too -- more often I write the poems, though. Tim has a wonderful, poetic way with words, but his letters to me often come out as just that -- letters rather than poems. Either way I treasure every word he writes. And I can see you and Dave do the same for each other.

I know you still miss Manny. Time will heal your heart, but you will always miss him. He was with you so long, and so faithful to helping you to the end. I wish you peace in your heart, Tammy. Thanks for sharing both poems, yours and Daves. They are both beautifully written and surely heart-felt.

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

What wonderful gifts of self, what a bounty of love these poems are! (I like all the new pictures, too!)

Chris said...

What you have with Dave, some people search a lifetime for. You are so very blessed, and so am I for having the opportunity to have gotten to know you. Happy New Year girlfriend!

Anonymous said...

How thoughtful and full of love.What a beautiful gift to receive.

Anonymous said...

This so touched me. I know it was written for Manny, but it could have been written for the loss of a (human) loved one as well. I loved the last verse... it's so comforting that all those we loved will be there to meet us. Thanks for visiting me, Tammy. You are blessed indeed...

Anonymous said...

As a fellow dog worshipper, I could barely read this for crying. What a sensitvie, lovely soul you're married to, my dear! But I'm sure you know that:)

Much love xo

Sky said...

happy new year to you and dave. how very touching the poems are. thanks for sharing them with us!

Nancy said...

I really do love that whole gift exchange idea. Could you even imagine anything greater than this?

You will always and forever miss Manny...

Love,
Nancy
http://journals.aol.com/nhd106/notions-of-nancy/entries/2007/01/04/a-start/1825

Chris said...

That was incredible of Dave. Such a good hubby!!!

Have a great weekend!
Chris
My Blog

turquoise cro said...

Beauty Full!!! Woof! Woof! Bow WOW! like others have said, you two are so BLESSED for finding each other!!! LOVE and prayers, Cinda xoxoxooxo

Anonymous said...

I didn't see Manny in the picture the first time, just read it, this is truly beautiful!