Saturday, February 17, 2007

Sunday Scribbling - "Crush" First Crushes

David Cassidy

Bobby Sherman

Donny Osmond
When I think of a crush it takes me back to my youth where boys my age still had cooties. I didn't know back then that tugging on my pigtails and chasing me into the girls bathroom meant they actually liked me.
I preferred the older men that hung on my walls, as I laid on my red bean bag chair, while they sang love songs to me. I would cry into my pillow over my overwhelming love for them, as they stared at me with loving eyes from my Teenbeat magazines. I'd day dream about how we would meet while scribbling their name's in every slam book I wrote in. I wrote endless fan letters and when I received something back I truly believed it was written by them to me. Then I watched every TV show they were on, but was constantly interrupted by my little brother's endless teasing. He would hold his heart with both hands while batting his eye's saying "oh Donny, I love you!" I had to punch him every time it was at a commercial.
My mom actually let me go with a group of girls and their mom's to see Donny Osmond in concert. We were so far away he was 3 inches tall but we made absolute fools of ourselves during his big hit "Puppy Love." We never heard the song through our screaming and tears but we were sure he was singing to us. The moms must have been laughing hysterically. We left thinking that was the best day of our lives ;)
I'm not sure when I went from those crushes to chasing boys. Between my day dreams of teen idols and a Harlequin romance novel addiction the boys never really stood a chance. I dated too many jocks in high school...enough said! It really screwed up my chances to have a realistic relationship when I got older. My expectations were too high and my dreams of love were shattered. Now that I'm older and have lived a little, my days of crushes and dreams of knights on white horses are long gone. They have been replaced by real love and real life.



23 comments:

Kamsin said...

Oh the days of pop stars lining the bedroom wall! It was New Kids on the Block when I was a teen.

In that first picture of David Cassidy he has the exact same haircut my mun had in photos of me as a baby, lol!

Becca said...

Wow, Tammy, this really took me back to my days of loving Donny Osmond - and Davy Jones, and Paul McCartney :) How lucky you were to see Donny in person! I did too - but not until about 10 years ago when he was touring in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - he was still pretty cute!

This was so fun to read, and I love the pics!

angie said...

I loved Donny Osmond too. How could you not? What a cutie he was. We weren't THAT crazy.

Isn't it wonderful to stop chasing the knight in shining armour? I found the real thing, too, after many mistakes, and it's so nice, so refreshing, to read what you write about your own love. Thanks for that, and happy (belated) anniversary! Cheers to you both. :)

Julie said...

Oh, Tammy! It's like we were living parallel lives (except I never got to see any of them in person). I remember that I collected square plastic Bobby Sherman 45s from cereal boxes and watching American Bandstand was essential. This really takes me back :D

Nancy said...

Too cute, Tammy! And I'm one of the rare few that likes that song, "I think I love you.". Drives my husband a little nuts!
lol

Hugs,
Nancy

Susannah Conway said...

real love and real life.. sigh.. it's so much beter being a grown up isn't it :-) ( i still have crushes on sexy film stars.. but now my fantasies are a LOT more detailed LOL) xo

gracie said...

so funny!! I always thought that if the star-of-the-day could just get a chance to know me, they would love me and be unable to live without me (cos I was convinced they were the right one for me!!) haha

paris parfait said...

I liked Bobby Sherman and David Cassidy too. But the big crush I remember was Noel Harrison from the April Dancer television series (starring Stefanie Powers, who now lives in Paris and is married to a French doctor), a spin-off from the Man from UNCLE. I thought his British accent was dreamy (funny how I married a Brit). Such a sweet story about your early crushes, Tammy.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I totally forgot about the Bobby Sherman crush! Thanks for bringing back some old memories.
Bonnie

Regina said...

Hee hee- what memories this brings back! What was that song that Bobby Sherman sang that was so good?
Wow- when I think of all the money I spent on those Teen Beat magazines!

Pam said...

In my day it was Elvis. There were others, but he ruled.

Chris said...

My first crush was when I was 6 and it was one of the lifeguards at the YMCA pool. A close second and third was Ginger from Gilligan's Island and Julie "Catwoman" Newmar. Meeeeoow.


Chris
My Blog

Anonymous said...

Loved this! And the music is so perfect! Great one Tammy.

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

"Oh, my heck!" (That's what we always say here in Utah.) Y'all are such BABIES! My big crush was James Dean....(If that doesn't lay the wrinkles on me nuthin' will...)!

Deb R said...

Tammy, even if I didn't know we're about the same age, I'd have guessed it by who you listed as your early crushes - me too, each and every one of those!!

Tinker said...

Oh my GAWD! Is that BOBBY SHERMAN!!! Aaaahhh!!!

Great post, Tammy! One I think many of us can relate to!xo

Now I'm just going to sit here and look at Bobby's big blue eyes for awhile - sigh....
;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,

Oh my! I remember cooties! Course, I gave them all to you... hehe ;)
I didn't do the idolize teen celebrities thing but I enjoyed your writing trip down memory lane. Am still smiling at your scribblings, but no way will my teeth EVER be as white and straight as David's!

Giggles said...

This was a nice trip down memory lane. I never did the star worship thing, but I sure remember the poster filled walls of my friends! I am a few years older, and was more of a Beatles, Elton John freak! Very enjoyable story!Wonderful that you found real love!

Peace Giggles

gautami tripathy said...

I had a huge crush on all those rock stars...You took me back to those times. I still have one on Roger Waters.

gautami
Painfully yours..

Jone said...

Love the music. I was hot for the Monkees and Jum Morrison (okay those are opposite aren't they). What a fun post to read.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,
I saw a Donny Osmond record at Value Village today, I couldn't help but laugh when I saw it. And, I almost got it for you :)

Many Hugs,
Jolene

turquoise cro said...

When I was 18, I LOVED Omar Shariff! and of course he was in Dr. Zviago and of course I played this sweet music on my wedding morn! I also loved George Hamilton! heehee ps.My favorite Beatles were Ringo and George!

Anonymous said...

had to chuckle at your first crushes! hey hey we're the monkees... also got a chuckle out of the guy hugging his computer; could relate