Thursday, June 21, 2007

Poetry Thursday

I mentioned a few months back that one of my older poems was chosen to be published by The Rattlesnake Press. It's a free poetry publication distributed all over No. CA and Sacramento. It came out this month so I thought I'd share it today. I was inspired by an accidental garden surprise and Dave's love of flowers. Remember I was wet behind the ears and I'm still a practicing poet.

Chrysanthemums

I remember when you were small and pretty
but the seasons changed, covering
you in heavy snow smothering
you in a silent death,

so I replaced you.
And planted a circle of pansies
to adorn the bird bath.
Spring had arrived

playing it’s symphony in color
as the bulbs surfaced, like a delicate string,
and learning their song as they rose
I could hear,

the music beginning to tune in rhythm,
with tulips in purples and daffodils in
yellows, and the greens of grass all
together again.

Then I noticed,
unusual stalks of green that had no
song, but kept growing long past
the sounds of spring, smothering the
pansies and growing up the bird bath.

As fall arrived you were to be the final piece,
and as your stalks began to bloom, I remembered
your old song smothered in white.
You emerged triumphant and tall, your color sang
to me brilliantly, loud and clear,
a solo, to end the year.
Bravo

20 comments:

Julie said...

BIG SMILE :D This is wonderful! I love the musical theme, Tammy. Such a beautiful culmination to the growing year to see such a bright chorus surrounding the bird bath.

paris parfait said...

Tammy, this is gorgeous! Well done, you! Lovely photo as well. xo

Clare said...

Bravo to you Tammy! I love how your poem unfolds so beautifully toward the solo of the chrysanthemum's rebirth. Perfect.

Regina said...

Hee hee! Abd bravo to you, Tammy! Congrats on getting your poetry published- what an awesome feeling that must be!
For being "wet behind the ears" as you say, your talent truly shone through here!
xo

Rob Kistner said...

Lush piece of writing Tammy! How proud you must be... and rightly so.

Congrats... ;)

Odessa said...

hi tammy,
how wonderful to write about a concert of flowers! really enjoyed your writing. cheers! :)

turquoise cro said...

Flowers singing!!! What a lovely thought!!! LOVE your poetic words sweet one!!! and the birdbath is sOOOooossooooooOOOOO spectacular, I bet the birds LOVE to bathe there!!!I could jump in myself!!! LOL Bravo to YOU and YOUR sweet partner too!!! tee hee

chicklegirl said...

Congrats on being published, and this melodic piece is so deserving!

rel said...

Tammy,
Well done smiley! I can imagine the joy you felt when you realised those flowers were only dormant.
Sort of like when a dormant poem arises and gets published!
You're the bomb girl.
rel

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

This poem has certain rhythm to it. It desrves to be published.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Congratulations on your poem being published. I like the idea of the flowers singing and for some reason the phrase 'stalks of green that had n song, but kept growing' is really haunting.

Pam said...

Ah, I remember this, it is truly beautiful. It sings of life, beauty and spirit...as do you.

You have a gift.

JP (mom) said...

wonderful ode to chrysanthemums! I love the texture of this poem ... mmmmm .... xx, JP

Anonymous said...

Wonderful poem... I can see why they printed it. Thank you so much for commenting on my poem "wind" it was much appreciated!

kj said...

oh tammy, how fitting this poem has been published. it speaks to me of the importance of patience, of letting things take their course and unfold as the universe intends. every word in this poem gently leads to this message. it's terrific writing.

best wishes always!

daisies said...

bravo on so many levels :) congratulations on the well deserved publication ~ this is such a beautiful poem and you are so very talented, your beautiful soul shines through your words. xox

January said...

Yes, congratulations on your publication. What a lovely poem to have published and to share with us for Poetry Thursday.

Giggles said...

Beautiful poem and photo! Just wonderful! Great job! I love this post so much!

Hugs Sherrie

Cassiopeia Rises said...

I cab see why they wanted to print your poems. You have a gift of words ans imagery. Beautiful poem

love-bd

ps-thanks for stopping by and reading my poem. I am glad you liked it.

TJ said...

Take a bow....girlfriend.
I do think you nailed it.
TJ